Proper clothing coordination is essential for a great looking family photo. Here are some tips to help you plan your family photo session.
- For Family photos, make sure that everyone's clothing is coordinated in both style and color. For example, dark shirts and khakis or black turtlenecks and jeans look great in a family photo.
- Keep the design of the outfits simple so as not to date your photos.
- Don't mix casual and formal attire.
Tone, Colour and Pattern
- Choose a common colour for all family members to wear, such as black and tan.
- Opt for clothing in the same tonal ranges so that no single member of the family stands out because their clothing is too light or bright compared to the rest of the group.
- Select solid colors in subdued tones. For example, choose a color scheme (maybe cool tones in blue, burgundy, and grey), and have each person select his or her outfit within the color scheme.
- Avoid large or bold patterns and bright colors since they tend to draw attention away from the face and will clash when grouped together.
- Darker clothing tends to minimize body size and light tones tend to emphasize body size.
- The night before your portrait, lay out each family member's clothing on a bed and view as a group to catch anything that might clash.
- We will be taking full-length shots of you and your family, so make sure everybody's shoes are clean and polished.
- Please check that hair is groomed and neat, especially the children's.
And finally, relax and have fun! We love our job behind the camera. We hope you have a great time in front of it!